Saturday, January 10, 2009

TOFU-RIFIC STIR FRY

TOFU-RIFIC STIR FRY
Every new years, people always resolve to eat better.  I don't make resolutions myself, but I would like to kickoff 2009 by eating right and providing healthy, delicious recipes to help other reach their goals.  I thought it would be fun to try cooking with tofu. I've had tofu in miso soup, but I've always been to afraid to cook with it.  I also want to branch out and eat more vegetables.  I use a lot of broccoli so I am going to start cooking with other vegetables (except mushrooms of course).  I have recently started cooking with peppers (and even dicing up some yellow ones and adding them to my chinese chicken salad http://chefstaceybeth.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-product-alert_17.html).  I didn't even think I really liked peppers that much, until I taught myself how to cook them.  Peppers are great because they don't have a lot of sugar or carbs, but they keep you full for a long time.  So I hope you enjoy my COLORFUL stirfry.  It's pretty simple and easy to make and tastes great, so great that I made it for dinner two nights in a row!!
You will need:
Firm Tofu
Brown rice
Peppers (bell peppers any colors or use all three)
Carrots
Peas (canned, frozen or fresh)
Brocolli (I used fresh, but you can you frozen)
Teriaki sauce
1. Cook rice accordingly and set aside
2. slice peppers, carrots and tofu (into cubes)
3. steam broccolli, I do this by taking a handful, placing them in zip lock bag with water and microwaving them for 2 minutes and then straining
4. heat olive oil in a pan and stri in carrots and peppers (they will take longer to cook than the tofu and peas)
5. stir the for about three minutes, then stir in rice, tofu, peas and broccoli
6. Stir in teriaki sauce (I like to start in the middle of the pan and make a circle so that its even and doesn't burn)
7. ENJOY!!

No comments: