Monday, January 5, 2009

THE OCEANAIRE SEAFOOD ROOM

THE OCEANAIRE SEAFOOD ROOM
www.theoceanaire.com/
I went to Oceanaire with my parents Saturday night.  Oceanaire is definetly one of my favorites. They are consistently delicious, give great service (I always sit at the bar), keep some classic favorites on the menu, but update the fresh fish selection and preparations to keep things interesting.  
Every day they have an awesome happy hour special at their Baltimore location (I am not sure if they do it at other locations)  from 5pm-7pm and from 9pm to close at the bar.  They have about 8 menu items to choose from at drastically reduced prices and a red and a white one on special as well.  My parents and I decided to order 4 things and share.  I ordered a glass of the campanile pinot grigio a tart and crisp white.  
They served us an amusee to start.  It was a rockfish cevichee.  It was wayyyy to citrus-ey!!  I did not like it.  It was sour and tart and had a really bad fishy flavor.  Good thing it was just one bite right?!!  I love the bread there, they serve you a huge, fresh loaf and the butter is melted and delicious.  They also give you a cold vegetable plate to start (this is standard of every meal).  We ordered the lobster flatbread, fried calamari, beef tenderloin, and cajun shrimp.  The lobster flatbread was perfect.  It wasn't too cheesy and overbearing.  It didn't have much lobster on it, but it was also under $13, so I wasn't expecting a lot of it!  The fried calamari (below) is my favorite calamari in the world.  It is hands down the best calamari I have had anywhere, and it never disappoints!  It is covered is a spicy sweet chili glaze with Asian slaw mixed it.  It is so great!  They have us a really big portion for $7 (way below regular price)!  I loved the cajun shrimp.  It was prepared in a red cream sauce with cajun spices and the shrimp were grilled.  The sauce was so good I couldn't resist dipping some bread in it!  The beef was pretty good, it was served medium rare with goat cheese and natural jus.  It had great flavor and was well seasoned.  This is not the place to order meat, but since it was a small portion, it balanced out the rest of our dishes.
I never get dessert at Oceanaire.  They have those chocolate mints which are the perfect ending to a meal without leaving you sickly full. 

No comments: