Sunday, January 25, 2009

LA SCALA CHOPPED SALAD

LA SCALA BEVERLY HILLS
http://www.lascalabeverlyhills.com
434 N Canon Drive, 90210
310-275-0579
(another Location in Brentwood)
La Scala Beverly Hills has been a Hollywood staple for over 50 years and after eating there I know why.  Their food is simple, class and consistent.  They don't try to over do anything, but just make the food well, which is what keeps people coming back.  I sat outside at the Beverly Hills location on a a nice hot sunny day (did I mention this perfect 80 degree day was in January?).  Our server was friendly, warm and attentive.  My friend and I each ordered a cup of the cream of corn soup.  It was one of the best soups I've ever had.  I'm pretty hard to please with soups, I'm not a huge soup person.  It was delicious.  I wish I had ordered a bowl or that it wasn't a special, because now I can't go back and order it again.  Then, I ordered the famous Jean Leon chopped salad with tuna. The girl I was with ordered turkey.  They looked exactly the same.  The salad is lettuce, mozzarella cheese, tuna, chick peas and their secret dressing chopped.  You could pretty much eat it with a spoon.  The waiter garnished my salad with fresh parmesean cheese and ground pepper.  They also served us bread, which was really good.  I was pleasantly full afterwards and really enjoyed my meal.  I will definetly go back and hopefully next time have time to shop in the area.  
I decided to recreate my own tuna chopped salad at home.  It was pretty easy and satisfying.  I chopped lettuce, tuna, mozzarella, parmesean, pepper, and tomatoes.  I mixed them really well and then added italian dressing and fresh ground pepper with a pinch of sea salt.    It's an easy, delicious, healthy and inexpensive lunch.  Maybe you don't want to pack it and up and bring it to your office though!

No comments: