Monday, December 22, 2008

LOS ANGELES (PART DUEX)

LOS ANGELES (PART DUEX)
I guess I just couldn't stay away! I went back to LA again this weekend to visit with some friends. I got in on Saturday and I went to lunch at Chin Chin with three other girls at their West Hollywood location. Later that evening I went to The Parlor in Santa Monica to watch the Ravens kick the Cowboys ass! We ordered some light appies, since we had a late dinner reservation. After the game, I met up with even more of my friends at STK in West Hollywood. Later that night we partied at Kress in hollywood for an Afflication tee shirt company party. On Sunday I went to brunch with two of my friends at Jerry's Deli in Studio City. Later that evening, a group of us went to the Magic Castle in Hollywood. What an experience that was. If you have been to Southern California, please comment on your favorite restaurant or bar so that I can visit it next time I am in town. I always have the best time when I go to LA! :-) Thank you Allison for making my last two trips so amazing and fun!
Chin Chin
I drove from Vegas to LA and arrived around 1:00pm. My three friends were already hungry and ready to go! We wanted to go to Ketchup in West Hollywood, but they are only open for lunch during the week so we walked to the next closest place, Chin Chin. Chin Chin is you guessed it, Chinese food (and dim sum)! It is not your typical carry out Chinese food, as you can probably tell from the pictures about, however, the prices were really moderate. There are four locations in Southern California and one in Las Vegas. Chin Chin has been open since 1983 with a focus on healthy, fresh, made to order Chinese food. We sat outside at the West Hollywood location. It was nice out and they had a heated patio. There was great people watching. This place is usually a celebrity magnet. We sat at the table next to Lonnie Moore (Millionaire Matchmaker) and JJ Torregiani (Paula Abdul's on again and off again boyfriend) both co-owners of the Dolce Restaurant and nighlife group. They were with two other guys, that I am going to assume are also part of the Dolce Group. Two of my friends ordered the mango boba or bubble tea. It was a mango smoothie with a tea base and tapioca balls at the bottom. I did not like it. The texture was really weird and I didnt like the flavor of the tapioca very much. The mango smoothie alone would have been nothing special. Two of the girls shared dumplings, fried rice and the shredded chinese chicken salad. They loved everything. The other girl ordered the orange chicken with brown rice. I love when restaurants allow you to order brown rice. I ordered the lemon grass pad thai it had chicken, scallops and shrimp in it. It was so good! The dishses were an average price of about $12. I would definetly go back there again! The service was pretty good.
8618 Sunset Blvd.West Hollywood, CA 90069Phone: (310) 652-1818 Hours: 11 AM - 10:30 PM
The Parlor
I went to watch the Ravens vs the Cowboys at The Parlor in Santa Monica. Since I knew I had late dinner plans, I didn't want to eat, but by 8:15 and two drinks later, I knew I had to eat something. I ordered the thai chicken skewers and sweet potato fries. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet potato friends and they were goooooood ones! It was the perfect amount of food because I was still a little hungry for my later dinner. The bar was packed. It was hard to get seats right away. The food was pretty good and I was impressed the menu had more than just the regular old bar food options of chicken fingers and cheese burgers. It was a really fun sportsbar atmosphere and I would definetly go back to watch more games if I ever moved there. 1519 Wilshire Blvd.Santa Monica, CA
http://www.theparlorsm.com/
STK
We went to STK after the Parlor. The place was packed. We ended up having a table of about 9 people. The girls were pretty full from eating earlier, two of them shared the slider burgers and ordered the Parmesean fries. It looks like french toast when it was served because it was in large fried squares with white powder on it. It was a really cool presentation. I had a little bit of my friends steak. It was good quality meat. We skipped dessert. I had a dirty martini with blue cheese olives. I love blue cheese stuffed olives, they are amazing. Anyways, everyone seemed to really enjoy their food. STK is usually a place for celebs to be seen, but no one famous was there that night, which is good, because it would have been an even bigger mob scene had one been there. STK is extremely expensive. It is good quality meat and an awesome atmosphere though. I would love to go back and eat more than I did.
755 N La Cienega BlvdLos Angeles, CA 90069(310) 659-3535
STK is owned by THE ONE dining group. They also own Kiss Fly, Coco Deville tenjune, ONE and Bagatelle. They have locations in CA, NY and Las Vegas. Their new restaurant FSH will be opening soon.
http://www.stkhouse.com/
KRESS
We got to Kress around 12:30. The Kress serves food, but we were there for the nightlife part. I think this place is 5 levels. One of those is a roofdeck which I hear is really fun in the Spring and Summer. We stayed in the basement lounge the whole night. It was really fun. The music was awesome, but the dance floor was kind of small. We still danced alot! It got reallllllly hot down there. I wish they would have had more air conditioning. The club was packed, but not too packed. Pauly Shore bumped into my friend and he was so obviously wasted it was hilarious. We had a really fun night. We stayed til close!!
6608 Hollywood Blvd. http://www.thekress.net/
Jerry's Deli
Jerry's Deli has the best matzo ball soup I have ever had and the best place to go with a hangover. Jerry's Deli has 9 locations in SoCal and 3 locations in Miami. I have been to to 3 locations so far. Jerry's Deli offers a full cocktail list, espresso drinks, soups, salads, sandwiches, fried appies, hamburgers, breakfast items and so much more. The portions are huge!! I ordered the california omlette and asked for it scrambled. It was eggs, provolone, avocado and chicken. It was really good, but you could taste the butter!! The other two girls got matzo ball soup which I tried and it was amazing. They got curly fries, which were so good. I haven't had those since 5th grade. They also each got the corned beef sandwich. Jerry's is known for their lean cornbeef and I highly recommend that you order a sandwich. At the end of the meal I got a giant cookie. it was chocolate chip with peanuts. I ate half of it and then slipped into my food coma until dinner. Catering and online ordering is available. Do not skip the dessert case up front.
http://www.jerrysfamousdeli.com/cgi-bin/cNc/showPage.plx?db=jerrysmenu&pid=1
The Magic Castle
A group of 8 of us went to the Magic Castle in Hollywood for dinner and some magic shows. The decor was cheesy and it was so random. I mean a huge castle/mansion in the middle of Hollywood. The Magic Castle is a club for Magicians and Magic enthusiasts. It also houses the Academy ee Magical Arts. The castle has been operating since 1963 and has housed some of the most famous magicians around the world. It was definetly a unique experience, and you have to be a member or be invited by a member to be able to go so the exclusivity part made this experience even more unique and fun! We ended up getting seated for dinner around 10:00pm. I would describe the menu as old man steakhouse. I mean their signature dish was the "steak milton" a steak with hollandiase sauce on it! The probably haven't changed the menu since the place opened.We ordered chicken lollipops (the new trend in chicken wings, moving the meat to the top of the bone before deep frying so that it looks like a lolly and is actually easier to eat). They were really good. Our waiter was really funny and nice and the service was pretty good. The food was over priced as expected and mediocre. I split the mixed grill with my friend. It was lamb, steak and chicken. Everything was dry and poorly seasoned. Clearly the food isnt't the main attraction. After dinner we went to our first show. We saw Ed Alonzo perform (Max from Saved by the Bell). He was really funny and definetly had a dirty sense of humor. I was picked to be his magicians assistant for a trick. I had to pick a card of an animal. I picked a duck. The I had to strap him into a straight jacket. The he escaped for the jacket and pulled out a duck. It was pretty crazy. I was just really excited that I got picked to be the magicians assistant. Last year at the Penn and Teller show at the RIO is Vegas I tried so hard to get picked and they picked 6 volunteers and I never got picked. Oh well. If this writing stuff doesn't work out, I think I may have found a new career. (kidding). We also saw another performer, AYE JAYE. My friend Allison and her boyfriend got picked to go on stage at this show, so that was exciting! After the shows we were allowed to wonder around the mansion. They had all of these old pictures and props every where so it was really cool to see. We also ran into Dax Shepard (Employee of the Month) and Kristen Bell (Forgetting Sarah Marshall). It was a really interesting and amusing evening. I had a really great time!
Oh and don't skip the dessert!!

No comments: